Authorities have determined that the cause of the house explosion that left three people injured in SW Indiana was a heater that started leaking natural gas during maintenance.
The two-story home was home to four people when it was severely damaged in Tuesday’s blast in Princeton. Two people were hospitalized with burns, while another person suffered back pain.
Chief Nick Medler of Princeton Fire Territory stated that two maintenance workers were fixing a wall-mounted heater on the second floor of the house when the heater malfunctioned. This caused the gas leak.
Medler said Wednesday that “in messing with the furnace, we’ve reached this incident”, WFIE-TV reported.
According to the Department of Homeland Security, the gas was accidentally ignited and caused the explosion in the city 25 miles north of Evansville.
Medler stated Thursday that investigators were unable to determine the cause of the gas explosion. Medler said that the victims of the gas explosion were not considered to be life-threatening and they were very fortunate.
Medler stated that the four occupants of the house were able to leave the property on their own after firefighters arrived on the scene Tuesday.