Prosecutors said that a man who had been found incompetent in the past has now been ordered to face trial for kidnapping charges in connection with the kidnapping of a 16 year-old girl, who was murdered in 2018.
U.S. Attorney Mark Totten stated that a forensic psychologist from the U.S. Bureau of Prisons found evidence suggesting Gerald Bennett, 63 of Detroit was faking his symptoms to be found incompetent for trial. So U.S. Magistrates Judge Ray Kent ordered Bennett stand trial on a kidnapping charge.
Mujey Dumbuya’s partially-clothed body was discovered in Kalamazoo in January 2018, about 50 miles south of her Grand Rapids home. She was strangled. Bennett is not charged with her murder.
Totten stated that after Bennett was initially found incompetent for trial, the state charges were dropped and he was released in March 2022. Totten said that the case was then referred to federal prosecutors and the FBI, and in August last year a federal grand juror indicted Bennett.
Totten stated that Bennett could face a sentence of up to life imprisonment if convicted.
An attorney for Bennett was contacted Tuesday evening to ask for a comment.
Totten stated that Quinn James was sentenced to life imprisonment without parole for the murder of Dumbaya.
Dumbaya had to testify that James sexually abused her at a trial held in April 2018.