Newsom’s office is claiming his initial remarks were misrepresented.
According to a report from The Daily Wire, the office of California Governor Gavin Newsom is trying to correct the record on Newsom’s response to the findings of his own reparations task force; the task force wanted million-dollar payouts for black California residents and, initially, Newsom wasn’t on board.
But after some careful consideration —and significant blowback from the far left —Newsom is changing his tune.
“The sensationalized framing in pieces published by outlets like Fox News and others is inaccurate,” Anthony York, chief communication advisor for Newsom, told The Sacramento Bee. “The Governor looks forward to reviewing the final report — and all recommendations — when complete.”
From The Daily Wire:
Last week, the nine-member California Reparations Task Force recommended that the state issue a formal reparative monetary apology, including distributing up to $1.2 million to eligible black California residents based on calculated dollar figures in categories ranging from mass incarceration to housing discrimination and other alleged injustices.
Newsom, who appointed five of the nine task force members, praised the committee’s work to “advance systemic changes” — but stopped short of endorsing its recommendation for cash payouts.
The governor told Fox News Digital on Tuesday that finding a way to address the “legacy” left behind by the institution of slavery was a complicated issue that was “about much more than cash payments.”
York told the Bee that Newsom has not declined to support issuing cash reparations payments to black residents, and he will meet with state lawmakers and review the final report.
More over at Breitbart News:
California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) now says he is open to the idea of cash reparations for slavery, after he indicated several days ago he was opposed to the idea, which was recommended by his own task force on the issue. https://t.co/yliLREOqBy
— Breitbart News (@BreitbartNews) May 15, 2023