After mishandling fireworks Wednesday caused an explosion, a man was transported to hospital in Seattle.
Seattle Fire Department responded to a report of an apartment fire on the 100 Block of 1st Avenue North around 9:30 am local time. Authorities said that first responders treated an individual who was in a serious condition at the scene.
SFD reported that 911 calls came from within the building, and people heard an explosion in a basement unit.
HazMat teams were called in to assist with the evacuation of the building.
Seattle Police Department detective Judinna Gulpan said to local news station KOMO the explosion was caused because a man handled fireworks. The detective said one of the fireworks went off and the man sustained a “non-life-threatening injury” to his hand.
After first responders had provided assistance, paramedics transported the patient from Harborview Medical Center to Harborview Medical Center.
KOMO reported that the bomb squad of the police department is on scene to make sure there aren’t any other “volatile substances” in the residence. Gulpan said that the gas station next to the apartment complex is not a concern.
Seattle Police Department investigates the incident. The Seattle Police Department is investigating the incident.
The authorities said that more information would be released as soon as it is available.